Friday, October 24, 2008

Arrival

I made it. After an exhausting travel experience for no reason other than the shear length of the travels. The flights all went smoothly. I woke up on the second flight at about 5:45 AM local Ugandan time to see the sun starting to rise as a number of thunderclouds loomed on the horizon with lightning illuminating them.

I was spending the first night in the capital, Kampala. I was shocked by the amount of traffic and exhaust that filled the air on the drive to the hotel. Driving rules were non-existent as sometimes there were 3 lanes and other times just 1. There were young soldiers almost every 200 meters the entire 30-minute drive. Motorcycles were diving in and out and between traffic. I even saw one with a father driving his the young children on the back, without helmets, navigating their way through the traffic jam.

We passed by a lot of small villages with shops lining the streets advertising Coke products and such. There were mounds of green bananas lying on the ground waiting to be sold. These green bananas are used to make what is known as Matoke. They are steamed and then mashed. I just tried it tonight; it is extremely bland and flavorless but abundant nevertheless. The first time I wanted to try it, my waiter flat out denied it to me. He asked if I had ever had it, and when I said "No", he told me he would bring me Irish potatoes instead.

The next morning I left from Kampala to head down to Mbarara with my driver, Ibrahim or Ibra for short. Dr. Bangsberg and his team here hired Ibra about a year and a half ago when they were finally able to get the funding to buy a car. It is a beat up, but sturdy Toyota SUV. Ibra makes the 4-hour dive (8 hours round trip) between Mbarara and Kampala up to 15 times per month, picking up doctors and volunteers. He knows the roads well and so for my worrisome parents and grandparents, I was in very good hands and was never worried about my safety.

The drive was beautiful. I had told many of you that Uganda is apparently a very lush country with a lot of green growth dominating the hills. Despite having been told this, I am still shocked by just how green it is. I finally arrived at my hotel, The University Inn. The accommodations are much nicer than I had expected and I have quite a bit of room. I am about a 10-minute walk from the office I will be working out of about half the week. The offices are pretty nice too. The building is new and has nice marble floors.

The other half of the week I am going to be helping out at the Mbarara International Elementary School. I will initially be helping to set up their website while also helping with after school athletics and in the classes. As I get a better feel for the school, I will begin to increase my role and possibly help out with a project for the first graders. I will go into the school in more detail once I have work there for a bit (meaning in another blog later). After sharing some tea with the founder of the school, Miss K, I realized this was going to be quite an experience getting to work with all these kids.

9 comments:

Stephen said...

I am relieved about the drive and the driver! Good luck getting settled. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you made it there safely. Here's news that I know you will love. Dan, Sarah, Ross, and I went to East Coast Grill for "Hell Night" where everything is EXTREMELY spicy. So spicy that Dan started to sweat and cry while eating his skirt steak. No joke. It was fantastic and you would have loved it. Next year for sure.

Be good. Save the world. Come home soon.

Stephen said...

Count me in on "Hell Night" next year - as long as you don't mind the mature influence. Like the "come home soon".

Florence Goodman said...

Hi Josh,
Count me in for "Hell Night" also. I don't like to miss a party.Dad helped me get gmail address. I'm so happy to keep in touch with you. Grandpa and I have your phone number and will call. Keep us posted on your day-to-day experiences. We love you.
Grandma Flo and Grandpa Bob

Unknown said...

Josh,
How are you doing?
Ever since you left the USA the stock market has continued to tank...come back and start working at the hedge fund group again and make the world right.

Looks like the Real Estate market is going to come down big time so I may have more time on my hands this winter. Which is not a bad thing... LOL
We all miss you.. Ski yah later...I thought you would like my new G-Mail username...
Love you,

Uncle David & Aunt Toyo
Let us know how things are.

Toyo said...

Sounds like you will have a lot of adventures and experiences. Hope they are all positive!

Unknown said...

hi josh-glad to hear about your adventure so far;after spending the week with plumbers,a/c people,tv folks,telephone linemen and the like i am looking forward to going back to cleveland tomorrow,on to lehigh friday,then to wake on sunday,back here on tuesday for a few hours and once again back to cleveland that night.i almost get tired thinking about it but in fact we are doing great(maybe we are nuts!)eventually i expect to get back to golf.i just got my own versions of zach's 3 wood and his rescue 3 iron.be well and have fun.gpb

Unknown said...

Hi Josh,Thinking about you and hoping we will see you when you get home.Florida beckons with warmth and sunshine and golf and anything your heart desires. Hope this offer brings you to FL. In the meantime,write and let us all know about your time in Mbarra.Exciting day in America. Still an unknown although the hype is leaning towards Obama. I'm hoping Obama is elected-we need a change. Love, Grand,a Flo

Unknown said...

I am going to read your blog now and will leave my message later. Hope you are doing well.
L,
D&T in SLC very little snow. but one of my buddys is skiing today! not me I am picking and choosing my days. The local that I am.