Friday, October 31, 2008

Week 1...Mburara International School

So it has been just over a week since I arrived in Mbarara and the University Inn. Things have continued to improve everyday. That first weekend was a bit slow, even by Mbarara standards. The town has very little to offer in the way of entertainment, especially during the day. I am finding out more and more everyday though, and I may even go golfing tomorrow which I had never expected to do. I found someone who wants to take up golfing and since they have a nine hole course and I think it costs about $5 including the club rentals, I figured it would be a good way to spend a couple hours.

This week I continued to meet a lot of people who work for Uganda Research Initiative (URI) and I am having a hard time keeping them all straight. They are all very friendly though and are really excited to meet a white american lad. Not too many of those around here. I am sure I could count the number on one hand. I am constantly stared at as I walk around town and those who are friendly enough, shout out "Mzungu" and wave to me and laugh to themselves at such a strange cite. The kids especially. They sit there in awe with a big smile on their face.
Speaking of the kids, I went to Mburara International school three days this week and I am really excited about helping out there. There are a bunch of young guys who teach there who are really excited to have me there. They are asking questions about my travels and America and all sorts of things. They let me help out in class and join them in activities during lunch and P.E. They obviously play a lot of soccer, but surprisingly, a lot of the kids have taken a keen interest in volleyball. One of the teachers, Michael, played soccer through university, but while he was there, because the soccer team wasn't so great, took up volleyball. The kids and teachers have really come to like it a lot. While I haven't played volleyball with them yet, I did have to show them a thing or two on the soccer field. And I use the term field very loosely. It is a very overgrown, small piece of land that slopes down into a garden that is surrounded by a wooden, barbed wire fence. The only way to cut the grass is for one of the workers to use a modified machete. It was shocking to see, but that is how they cut all the grass and plants around here. A man and his machete. Whether it is the grass next to the highway or someone's back yard. I have seen two lawn mowers, one for the Mbarara University soccer field and one for the golf course. Makes you appreciate how easy it is to mow the lawn back home. So Jake, stop complaining.

I got to teach a class at the school on Wednesday which was a lot of fun. The kids were extremely engaged and had tons of questions. It is a good thing I know a bit about European Soccer, otherwise I don't know what we would have talked about. All of the kids support either Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, or my favorite, Liverpool. The lesson I taught worked on their listening skills as I read out certain mathematical sentences that they had to then solve. It was something a little different for them, which was good. Next week I think I am going to teach each class (Kindergarten through P6) a lesson using the one microscope they had donated to their school. Hopefully I can remember how to use one...let alone figure out a whole lesson to do using it...

The kids really are great and bring a smile to my face. They all run up to me and fight over who gets to hold my hand. In class, when I walk by they all stop paying attention to smile to me (which isn't the greatest thing for the teachers). They ask me everyday when they will get to see me next. I am looking forward to getting to help out. They have asked me to help do some fundraising, so we are in discussions about that right now. They have purchased a plot of land to build a new school on, but don't have the money to build anything yet. They are currently renting a large house that has been divided up into different classes, with three classes being taught in what was the living room. They put up a wooden wall to divide the room, but the wall doesn't even go up to the ceiling. The kids are all able to focus on their teacher pretty well, but I struggled mightily when I was sitting in on one of the classes. French was being taught to my right and Science to my left while Art class was going on behind me. The Principal's office is the kitchen. 

I am not exactly sure how the fund raising will go yet, but I am in the midst of talking with my good friend Ross about what he has done in Tanzania. When he is able to send me the link to the website, I will post it here. Quite exciting stuff.

Well, I am now off to a meeting to go over a proposal for a research study. I will likely post some information about the study once I have finished the proposal. They are trying to implement some pretty interesting technology here to help in the monitoring of HIV patients and their adherence to their medication.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Great update. I read it out loud to Mom and Leah. The school experiences sound great. Let us know how it goes with golf and the research project! Love the blog!!! Love you, Dad

Unknown said...

Grandpa and I loved reading your week 1 posting. I love the idea of golfing. Wouldn't that be fun!I can picture the man and his machete clearing the overgrown field and the looks on the faces of the townspeople and the smiling faces of the children when they are with you. Your descriptions are vivid and help us see and learn about your daily life. It is quite a switch for you, a white man, to be stared at.We love reading it all. Keep us posted about your involvement with URI, the school and everything else.
Love you- Grandma Flo and Grandpa Bob

Unknown said...

I was at that school in the summer of 2006. It was such a beautiful experience. How long did you stay there?